A Happy New Year to all our readers!
- Israeli soldiers assaulted two cameramen near a Palestinian-heavy area, despite having signs and jackets identifying themselves as pressmen. Following this attack is this interesting piece detailing past incidents in the Middle East where military force has led to the death of journalists.
- The Hoot has released this survey on journalistic freedom in India, in 2012.
- One of the several phone hacking incidents in News Corp’s past which led to the Levenson Inquiry, involving Hugh Grant, has reached a settlement. The proceeds are being donated to a charity dedicated to helping the victims of the hacking.
- After a gap of nearly 50 years, Myanmar has allowed private newspapers to be set up, starting from the first of April.
- A journalist covering a strike in Manipur was shot dead by the police, while filming an incident where a truck was being burnt by protesters.
- A PIL involving the right to strike and protest has reached the final stages of hearing at the Delhi High Court.